Tuesday, February 5, 2008

one hundred twenty eight


just a few things...

-today i got carded. yup. not for attempting to illegally purchase alcohol, but when i tried to vote! everyone in front of me went right through checking in and when its my turn i tell them my name just like every time before. the lady looks at me and makes me verify my address, okay no big deal even though no one else had to, and then she pauses and says she'd like to see my ID. of course i pull it out and she stares at it for a good 20 seconds(thoroughly inspecting to see if its a fake) and finally says in a shocked tone, "you're almost 21? you don't look old enough to vote!" thanks. so i sweetly smile at the woman and say "yes ma'am, i'm going to love this whole looking young thing when i get to be your age!" BAHA! i don't know why i was such a snot, but i just was and at this point its too late to take it back so i'm just going to laugh about it! hahahahhahahahahahahahaha!

-i was talking to my friend gabe about this test we're taking for philosophy and he totally forgot that we have to take it online today. after my reminder and recap of needed info he promptly exclaimed- "you are my personal jesus!" oh wow. people have said some pretty random things to me in the past, but i've never gotten that one before! yikes.

-i would just like to say that i'm stoked that it's a leap year and am very excited for all of those would-be seven year olds to finally have their first birthday! hooray! haha

-oh here's an announcement worth reading: i'm now a vegetarian and semi vegan. i was reading this book about how horribly enforced the USDA's sanitation and disease control standards are and i have been thoroughly grossed out enough for all of you. i knew when i started to read it that it would probably be the end of my meat eating days, but i figured that if these conditions and things are really happening (and they are), i at least owe it to the animals enduring it to be educated in my decision whether or not to support the slaughter business by eating their products or not. i say semi vegan because i refuse to give up ice cream or cheesecake! i just can't do it. other than that, i'm done. no meat, dairy, eggs, fish. its really not a big deal cuz i'm not a big red meat fan, haven't eaten chicken for a while, and have never eaten seafood, milk, or eggs anyway. i will totally need to make an effort to get other sources of protein, but am actually pretty excited about it because i love edamame, soy milk, and stuff, and soy is awesome for heart health! i want to cut back on my processed white flour and refined sugar intake for the sake of nutrition (once its refined and bleached they have striped all of the nutrients out!), but it's in everything! oh well, you win some you lose some, right? i also need to eat way more fruits and veggies because i don't think living on toaster strudel and chocolate malts is giving me all of the vitamins and minerals i could be benefiting from... just a hunch! so yeah, i'm feeling pretty good about it.

-i was thinking about it and have also decided that if i really want to take care of my body with such dietary changes, i need to give up some other stuff too. so here is my public commitment to no more soda (it makes it really for the body to absorb calcium and realistically, i don't get as much calcium as i should, so i should probably hold onto all of it that i can), and i'm done with coffee. i can't believe i just said that. but i'm serious! all of the tanic acid is NOT good on your body's PH levels and cancer thrives in overly acidic environments. yuck. but don't confuse this kind of acidity with citric acid(like in oranges) because thats totally different and good for you! coffee is also a serious diuretic and i'd really like to keep the water in my body for a number of highly useful reasons thank you. so there you go: no soda, no coffee. and LOTS of water! :) hooray for hydration!

-the only thing i'm not stoked about is the battle that will likely ensue with alice in a few weeks... i think i'm going to bring her the book and have her read it for herself. all of the stories and figures are sited and documented and as they name specific organizations involved, i'm sure they would have been sued if it was slanderous or anything. anyway, wish me luck. go veg!

5 comments:

KC said...

good luck with your health pursuits! I really oughta cut out the soda and coffee, but...well, excuses, you know. and I love what you said to that lady who carded you! she deserved it, she was kinda rude about your age.

Abby said...

I don't think I've ever commented on your blog before, but I stumbled into it from Kyla's... anyway... have fun with Alice! What does Nicole say? She still brings up the vegetarian issue with me every time we talk! She can't seem to let it go... but I suppose I'll prove myself in the long run... the very, very, very long run... actually, I'm sure Nicole will be after me about this for the rest of my life. Alas! Say hi to the Rock Star for me!

alana.rachelle said...

oh like nicole has any room to talk?! she was a vegetarian for years! you know the story on that, right?! geez! haha rox says hi to darling betsy! abby, i vote that you should start a blog so we can all stay up to date on what you are up to these days! hows school going? life in general?

brie said...

Yeah, Alice will go batshit. I can't wait to hear the story!

Anonymous said...

i must say i pretty much love the fact that you said the whole age thing to that lady. ha ha. nice one.

love ya bitch