Friday, April 11, 2008

one hundred fifty four

it's.blog.worthy

so i went to sign up for my retarded, yet practically mandatory CNA course this past week and had one of the funniest convos of my life. i sit down to talk with betty (i don't remember her real name, but " betty" sounds like a winner) and after 5 minutes of talking to her about which class schedule i'd like to register for she asks me, "Now have you taken an english class in the past few years?" i was a little confused... i know i'm half chinese, but i don't think i look or act like an immigrant. really, do i strike you as fresh off the boat?! i said that i'd taken a writing course at the U a few semesters ago in hopes that that was the answer she was looking for, to which she sternly tells me that if i can show her a transcript proving that i passed with at least a "C" she won't make me take the english proficiency exam. now for real, are you kidding me?! not to come off as overly confident, but i consider myself to be fairly well spoken. so i'm a bit lost as to why she was questioning my ability to speak english, but whatevvvs....

i.find.it.hilarious

4 comments:

it's me, t said...

yay for looking like a non-english speaker! i love you

KC said...

haha, but does that classify as racist? People think Eng is my second language all th etime, and it's the only language I speak. the worst was this time on the bus, this guy thought I couldn't understand him and kept saying, NO, WHAT'S YOUR OTHER LANGUAGE and I kept saying English only...haha

KC said...

haha, but does that classify as racist? People think Eng is my second language all th etime, and it's the only language I speak. the worst was this time on the bus, this guy thought I couldn't understand him and kept saying, NO, WHAT'S YOUR OTHER LANGUAGE and I kept saying English only...haha

alana.rachelle said...

kyla-
what the?! you're white! wow, how's that for being racist?! and aren't you an english major to boot?! how funny! what a retard. yeah my dad didn't think it was funny. he said it was racial profiling! whatevvs. i just think she was dumb and probably just got her job there after getting her GED at age 45. wow that's uber rude of me to say, but it makes me feel better to just tell myself how much cooler/smarter/everything i am! haha maybe you should have asked him what HIS other language was!